Just a quick post…some pictures from my first attempt at breakdown printing…
Plastic canvas and sequin waste placed beneath the screen. Squeegeed yellow-orange dye across the screen, let dry. Next day, made turquoise dye paste and activated and squeegeed onto cloth. The little dark rusty looking areas are where the orange yellow dye came off the screen. Interesting. Oh, and there was some pink blotches on the fabric when I started, just so you know.
These I screened the yellow orange dye on and then later dye painted with turquoise dye.
1. It would be good to have several screens available to use to do this with. I have one at the moment, so I made the design on the screen and had to wait a day til it dried, before I could go on. I will be purchasing more.
2. Putting the textural objects beneath the screen and squeegeeing the dye paste on the inside of the screen worked very well, perhaps better than coating the screen and laying objects in it, at least for me. More exploration is required, but I definitely liked the images I got on the screen by laying the objects beneath it.
3. Some of the fabric had been presoaked in soda ash and dried and some had not. I’m not sure if it made much difference in the colors. The turquoise dye itself was activated on both kinds of cloth. The only reason I had some presoaked is that I had made it for another project. I did not do presoaked specifically for this process.
4. There is more work and mess involved screening with dye than with paint, but I very much like the hand of the cloth with dye. Lovely.
2 thoughts on “Friday This ‘N That”
Wow! I am totally in love with the middle one! Way cool stuff Kathy!!
Isn’t it fun! I was interested to read about the method you used of placing the objects under – something else to try. I also had the same problem of not enough screens, have got my husband to make me a couple more but they are still in progress.
Great results, will look forward to more.