Well, I guess Mondays are lining up to be my “domestic” day. After making Mounds balls, I also made biscuits for supper later in the afternoon yesterday. Did some laundry and cleaning up a bit too. My husband hates to see things laying around and me…well, if I can’t see it, I forget about it and there are some things I want to remember I have to work on or at least think about so I can make a decision! (I recently found my Indiana sales tax form somewhere it should not have been…out of sight, out of mind. Luckily, I still could meet the deadline.) My “studio”, aka, the shrinking 9’x 9′ extra bedroom, does not give me the space to leave things out where I can see them and think about them. I pretty much use the whole house!
The thread came yesterday, so today I will again start stitching on a piece I am working on for my show. I should be doing that now, but well, here I am. I wanted to post some of the deconstructed results from last week, and I now have the photos loaded onto the computer.
I used different sized screens and some of these are overprinted…and may still need some more overprinting. And they have not been washed yet, but you get the idea. I really really love the breakdown look of this kind of printing.
The reason this whole piece of cloth is not printed is because I am pondering using these as 4 separate prints for wall pieces. We’ll see. They might need more printing on them.
Another piece of deconstructed screen printed cloth…I am working on some more…will show later since I may do more to them. This one was printed with fuchsia and brown, then I painted the yellow dye on in places.
I am leaving to go to Evansville, IN. I’ll pick up some art pieces at a couple of places, some shopping, and then to a shopping spree event tonight where I plan to sell everything I can.
Here is a scarf I did last week. The technique is breakdown printing and the scarf is silk charmeuse, a nice heavy weight to screen on.
…and a nice closeup of the textures I love…lots of people commented on it, but no one coughed up the cash!
This scarf is for sale for $60.
Just a quick post…some pictures from my first attempt at breakdown printing…
Plastic canvas and sequin waste placed beneath the screen. Squeegeed yellow-orange dye across the screen, let dry. Next day, made turquoise dye paste and activated and squeegeed onto cloth. The little dark rusty looking areas are where the orange yellow dye came off the screen. Interesting. Oh, and there was some pink blotches on the fabric when I started, just so you know.
These I screened the yellow orange dye on and then later dye painted with turquoise dye.
1. It would be good to have several screens available to use to do this with. I have one at the moment, so I made the design on the screen and had to wait a day til it dried, before I could go on. I will be purchasing more.
2. Putting the textural objects beneath the screen and squeegeeing the dye paste on the inside of the screen worked very well, perhaps better than coating the screen and laying objects in it, at least for me. More exploration is required, but I definitely liked the images I got on the screen by laying the objects beneath it.
3. Some of the fabric had been presoaked in soda ash and dried and some had not. I’m not sure if it made much difference in the colors. The turquoise dye itself was activated on both kinds of cloth. The only reason I had some presoaked is that I had made it for another project. I did not do presoaked specifically for this process.
4. There is more work and mess involved screening with dye than with paint, but I very much like the hand of the cloth with dye. Lovely.