I was given some old dyes and some cloth that had been soda soaked by a friend who is downsizing. The hot weather has finally broken here, so yesterday morning I was out in the patio. I wanted to try out the new screens and I needed to get started working on silk scarves. But for yesterday, I got out a piece of cloth from her stash. It is a white on white print and is over 2 yards long. I printed on the back of it. The fabric turned out way too light for my taste, but is still very much useable. I’m not sure if it needed to be soda soaked again or what the reason was. She said it had been soaked last fall…which may be too long ago.
I don’t believe I have printed a piece this large before, but I can see myself doing it again. In the lower right corner is printing from one of the new screens we made. I used a paper resist to make the pattern. The other printing is from a design made with blue gel glue.
Just above that printing is the turquoise from the older dyes she gave me. I used double the dye powder and thought that would compensate for the age, but apparently not as I can see a distinct difference from the newer dyes. The new screens work quite well. Today, I printed on silk scarves and prepared screens for breakdown printing that I will print on other scarves.
One more thing: both of my pieces were rejected for the Working Together show this year….that has not happened before! Oh well…there’ll be another place to enter them.